Pages

Monday, January 22, 2018

The Distraction Series: Episode 2

Nearly three months ago, in an attempt to not get swallowed up by the daily onslaught of insane news headlines, I wrote a blog post about things that "provide distraction, bring joy, and are easily accessible," and at the end of the post I was like, "I will be back next week with more great things!"  This time I'll say, "I will be back in twelve short weeks with some fun things!" 😑






I got some stuff for ya.

First, a recipe. An easy recipe that is so far beyond delicious you could serve it to the Queen.  (We'll touch on her in a moment.)  Chicken satay with peanut sauce.  It makes me weep with joy.  Make it and serve it with everything.  For the sauce -- IT MUST BE CHAOKOH COCONUT MILK.  No substitutions. No questions.  Serve with rice, or on a nice warm piece of naan with a side of cucumber salad and think of me as tears of joy run down your cheeks.  Chardonnay pairs nicely or a crisp IPA.  I have a lump in my throat just thinking of it.

Chicken Satay:

1c. Plain yogurt
2 TBLS yellow curry
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 TBLS grated ginger
Combine, then marinate with 3-4 lbs of chicken tenders or sliced chicken breasts in a ziplock bag.  2-4 hours.  Remove and wipe most of the marinade off.
Grill.

Peanut sauce: 

13.5oz can Chaokoh coconut milk
2oz. Thai red curry paste
4oz Creamy JIF Peanut Butter
2oz Chunky JIF Peanut Butter
1 TBLS kosher salt
1/2c & 2 TBLS sugar
2 TBLS apple cider vinegar
1 TBLS Siracha Sauce
1/2c. water

Bring all to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.  Simmer 3-5min. over low. Come to think of it, we always double the sauce recipeThe only bad news: Grace hates it.  The good news: Grace hates most food, so this is nothing new. 




Now that you've got dinner made, get the rugrats to bed and here's what comes next: a date with your couch and telly.  You've got a few options:

The Crown. Netflix.  Season two is even better than season one, even though it starts slow.  Hang in there.  You'll love it.




Dave Chappelle's The Bird Revelation on Netflix.  I don't agree with all of his views, but consider his take on the reckoning of the me too movement and the end of apartheid in South Africa:

“The end of apartheid should have been a f—ing bloodbath by any metric in human history, and it wasn’t. The only reason it wasn’t is because Desmond Tutu and Mandela and all these guys figured out that if a system is corrupt, then the people who adhere to the system, and are incentivized by that system, are not criminals. They are victims. The system itself must be tried. But… the only way we can figure out what the system is, is if everyone says what they did. Tell them how you participated.”

It is easy to focus on the unforgivable and unforgettable details of what monsters like Weinstein and Dr. Nassar have done, but I like how Chapelle is calling us to take a step back and remember what needs to happen in order to effectuate a real change: a reckoning of the entire patriarchal system.  I'm reminded of Ta-Nehisi Coates' conversation about race with On Being's Krista Tippett, where he states, "What the realization is is that me and you are here trapped together — that you’re as trapped as I am; that once you are aware, you’re in the cage too. It’s a different kind of cage; it’s a gilded cage, but it’s a cage."  

As the reckoning continues, how do we hold accountable those who were playing by the system's rules?  Should that be our focus?  How do you dismantle an entire system without getting hung up on the details? I'm not talking about the monsters -- Weinstein, Nassar, etc -- but do we publicly torch Aziz Ansari and stories like his? Is that the most effective way to dismantle this system of abuse? These are questions that need to be talked through and I would love to know your thoughts.  Here's an article from Time that analyzes this same idea in a more focused way. I want to know what you think about this.

Whew, this feels heavy for a distraction series but what's that about a leopard and her spots?  Moving on:



The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel from Amazon.  Between the great acting, incredible period wardrobe, and being only eight episodes long, it's binge-able and light hearted.  Rachel Brosnahan is terrific but Tony Shalhoub steals every scene he's in. His timing and delivery made us roll with laughter. I want to go back and watch everything he's ever been in.  It's nice too, to watch the feminism of the 1950s -- which looks breezy and simple -- and to be reminded that it was won by tough women who had to fight like hell to be taken seriously.  Eric and I both loved it.  The picture below is me pretending to be breezy and simple ↓ but I don't have you fooled for a second, do I.





Switching mediums, purely for your listening pleasure, I've been digging Oprah's SuperSoul Conversations.  They're a little heavy for listening while working out, but good for highway driving or long walks.  I loved this one with Rob Bell.  Also, Rob Bell is on tour -- anyone want to see him with me?

Switching gears and because I'm ashamed how often I wear workout clothes as an "outfit" -- here's a pair of jeans that I don't despise. I hate shopping for jeans, but I found these and they're a winner. They're pricey and the sizing was a little wack (I sized down), but other than that, dream city.  They are soft and maintain a slim shape without feeling tight.  I've worn them at least 5 times without washing (don't judge me) and they've held their shape.  Huzzzah.

That's what I've got for you, friends!  Got anything great to share with me?  I hope to write more often, but I have this two little magnets who cling to me and they're not all that interested in exploring  the inner workings of my brain, so I will likely see you in twelve weeks. 😊




No comments:

Post a Comment