Pages

Monday, June 13, 2016

Elle's nursery


Spoiler alert:  

*Elle has the best room in our house*  



The reason being, it gets beautiful west-facing light, unencumbered by the giant trees that occupy our yard. Take a look at the photo below, when this pretty room belonged to Grace.





I wanted to refresh the space to give Elle something new and different, but I still loved the almost-Tiffany blue hue on the walls, and the peony print that inspired the room the first time around.  So I kept some elements and updated others to give Elle a special spot all of her own.  She has yet to spend any real time in this room, but I've enjoyed the process and the outcome immensely.

Take a peek and let me know what you think!



The crib stayed, obviously, and I kept the peony print above it, giving that side of the room a bright focal point.  I found some cute fabric at Hobby Lobby, and had my crafty Grandma sew me a few new slipcovers to update the pillows.



One of my oh-so-thoughtful friends got Elle this beautiful, personalized blanket from Etsy.  It makes me smile every time I see it.


I wanted the space to feel a little more funky than it did the first time, so I did a gallery wall using photos from Elle's newborn session and some art from Hobby Lobby.  The art came from this super awesome book-- have you seen these? They're a clever, inexpensive option to add some fun design elements to your room without a big price tag, and I intend to rotate the art from time to time to keep it interesting.  The blown-out picture on the bottom left says J'adore, adding a touch of French, since we borrowed their elle (she) as her first name.  Chic, no? 


The unicorn head is part of Target's pillowfort collection, and to keep a little continuity in my girl's spaces, Grace has the complimentary panda in her room.  Check out the pillowfort collection if you need to spruce up any of your spaces, and, like me, are on a meager budget. The collection is full of cute, unique items, (not just for kids!) at a really reasonable price. (Except the sheets. As cute as they are, don't buy the sheets -- they feel like plastic.) 






On the wall opposite the crib I moved in two bookshelves, and a few big blooms from Ikea to brighten things up. The shelves have been great for storing swaddle blankets, and some books and toys, which help keep Grace entertained when we hang out in Elle's room.







Baby girl clothes are too cute to hide in the closet, so occasionally I'll pull out some of my favorite pieces to gaze at while the girls and I play.  Why not?  





My mom gifted me the awesome rocking chair below.  With Grace, I had an antique wooden rocker that my grandma rocked her babies in.  This time around, I went less with sentimentality and more with comfort because good grief did that wooden rocker suck.  This one is plush and cozy, and will be easy to repurpose in years to come.  The fuzzy stool next to it is Grace's special spot.











I love designing spaces, especially for my girls; it feels like I'm creating a background for their childhood memories. Even on a budget, it's important to me that the space I live in is filled with things that bring joy -- pretty colors, favorite photographs, pieces that evoke a strong feeling or memory. I like to think of it as scenery for the drama of my life.  Mostly though, I hope Grace and Elle know their rooms are a reflection of my love for them, four sturdy walls that provide a safe space to grow, play and create.

Mama loves you!









No comments:

Post a Comment