Pages

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

This is what starting almost Whole 30 looks like


Who the actual hell let these two infants make major life decisions
Once upon a time lived a young couple who had no children.  While they both had careers, they made sure to prioritize their health, each attending different exercise classes and the gym multiple times a week, preparing unique recipes that had words like antioxidant rich in them, blissfully ignorant what their future lifestyle and metabolisms had in store. 



Fast forward a few years, this couple has very little free time to blast their pecs since they are busy raising two little carb-monsters who eat nothing but pasta.  As busy families do, they often fall prey to easy stuff, like mac and cheese, bar food, wine, basically everything that makes life worth living.  Then one day, one half of this couple said, "I effing hate winter.  Let's do Whole 30 and make our lives truly miserable."  And the rest is yet unwritten.

also cookies.

*Spoiler* The couple is me and Eric and the carb-monsters are Grace and Elle and we're going to start almost Whole 30 tomorrow!  Technically we're calling it Whole 23 because we have a trip planned at the end of the month that will require us to break some rules: we're taking our kids to an indoor water park for the weekend and I'm fairly certain that requires daiquiris with umbrellas in them, so sugar ✔ alcohol ✔, umbrellas ✔ thus, Whole 23. 

We're really doing it! I feel compelled to share this because a) I'm just barely a millennial and we share everything on social media or it doesn't count. b) I'm hopeful that letting anyone and everyone read this will hold me more accountable than I'm otherwise inclined to be. c) HOW AM I GOING TO GIVE UP ALCOHOL FOR 23 DAYS HAVE YOU MET MY KIDS?

Frankly, I am not good at discipline, thus I want to do this program to prove to myself I can do a thing that is inconvenient and requires planning.  Our lifestyle is pretty relaxed, especially when it comes to food -- we have been known to meet friends out for burgers on a Tuesday, pick up Pad Thai on Thursday, enjoy Eric's grilling skills with friends and family on the weekend, and my dad's pizza skills on Sunday.  I wouldn't change this fun for the world, most of the time.  Except now, after the holidays, in the peak of winter hibernation, instead of turning to food and drink as comfort and entertainment, I need to prove to myself I can still have fun without food and drink running the show. I want to know I can plan a few days worth of meals for my family and we will be home enough to eat them.  I want discipline.  And this program with all of its black and white rules will certainly provide that.

I vacillate by the moment how I feel about doing this...part of me thinks, this is not that hard! You were pregnant twice and had dietary restrictions then, and you did that all solo, this time you have a partner! Another part of me, the part I'm trying to teach a lesson, says, stay easy and breezy! Life is too short to waste time worrying about reading food labels and making elaborate meals that everyone will probably hate anyway! Ah, I think, fair point. But life is just long enough to learn a few lessons along the way, am I right?

Look how good I am at pretending to be easy breezy!

So, here's whats for dinner tomorrow: https://www.thebewitchinkitchen.com/coconut-curry-chicken-meatballs/

Tomorrow I am most nervous about not having cream in my coffee.  Any of you out there have a hot tip for me? I love coffee with cream.  I loooooove it.  I love the way it swirls around, changing colors, the smell, ugh WHY are all the fun things off limits.  I love treating my body like a dumpster. It is so much fun. 

Since I have your attention anyway, this is what I have slated for Friday night, and I'm pretty stoked about it: https://paleoglutenfree.com/recipes/southwest-paleo-chicken-and-fries/

Also, if you cook real meals on the regular and you have kids, how the heck do you pull this off? Mine hang on me and shout "MOMMY!" every 5 seconds until they have my undivided attention.  Every time I hear the term "meal prep" I want to run the other way and order Dominos, I'm not kidding.

So, I'm off to have one last glass of bourbon with Eric to celebrate the fact that we're attempting to do something hard, and I'll report back in a bit to let you know how we're doing.  Cheers to you, sugar, soy, grain, alcohol, dairy, and legumes.  See ya in 23.



No comments:

Post a Comment