Pages

Monday, December 18, 2017

This is what 21 months looks like



21 months.  I sort of hate saying ages in month terms after about 18 months.  It's too much.  I can't do it.  She'll be two in March, is how I'll continue henceforth.  Except that sort of breaks my heart because this kid who was A BABY a few minutes ago is going to be TWO, and two is not a baby age. So maybe I'll stick to 21 months? Ugh, DECISIONS.



I think it's safe to say that Elle is going through some sort of growth spurt right now, based on her 3 hour naps and her psychotic erratic behavior.  She is a handful right now.  Whooweee.  Hilarious. Quick tempered.  Clever.  Constantly in motion. On a mission to test every limit and boundary. Responsible for all the empty wine bottles in my recycling bin.

The only time in the last three weeks she's been this still.  I swear. 

Its good to write this, because as I think about her, I am reminded that she is actually only one year old.  It's not fair to ask her to keep up with her big sister, and it's not fair to ask her to be anyone other than exactly who she is.  It's got to be tough, having no experience to draw from, to understand why one day it's 60 degrees outside and you can go out in just your t shirt, and the next it's 30 degrees and you have to wear a jacket, hat and mittens.  I'm sure if she could, she would voice displeasure about having to wear a jacket in a calm, coherent manner instead of screaming and biting the neck of said jacket, but alas, she is only one.  And I'm sure she would politely ask the children at preschool drop off to respect her personal space, instead of stiff arming them and throwing massive side eye when they come a little too close. And I'm sure she would happily tell me she's not interested in a turkey sandwich and orange slices for lunch instead of flipping her plate to the floor and pounding the table with her fists.  Totally!



So here's something that's hard: Parenting a second child in a way that is independent and separate from the way you parent your first child WITHOUT babying them.  Elle still sort of a baby, so the way we parent her reflects that, but I don't want her to be a baby in the way that some children get away with bad behavior because they are the baby of their family.  Certainly we have to remember she is only one, but that doesn't mean she gets a pass on basic human decency, right?  And as much as Grace manipulates her, I don't want Elle to think all of her screaming, whining, pinching, you name it will ultimately end up in her getting whatever the heck she wants from Grace.  Manipulation, Elle, needs to be a bit more stealthy and a lot less obnoxious in this household ok?  We want your manipulation of us to make us proud.  You got this.



Lest I give you a bad impression of this spirited, adorable little lady, you should know that she is SO sweet when she wants to be.  She loves to be snuggled by her family, she loves to leave my bed (where she ends up midway through the night) to go to Grace's room (where Eric ends up midway through the night) in order to hug "Dahddeey" and "Gigi." She likes to sleep underneath my arm, head on my chest, all night long.  She knows all her colors, and if I'm really diligent, she can have a dry diaper or pull up all day long.  She also enjoys putting in her "dondacts" every morning, where she places her finger in Eric's empty contact holder, then jabs herself square in each eye squinting, tearing, and smiling as she goes.  On Thursday mornings when Grace goes to preschool, we have a few hours to play together, which has been a great reminder that when I can give her all of my attention and focus, she is a sweet, smart, amazing little girl.  Her favorite thing to do is read books, and I love it when she reads to herself, pointing to the words and saying, "A A E E A A E E." Because letters form words and words form stories. Little people are so smart.



Elle loves:
Barbies
ELSA
Frozen. I know every word and every note of this film, in case you'd ever like a reenactment, dramatic reading, sing along, etc, for your child's next birthday/graduation/bar mitzvah or simply for your own amusement.
Boss Baby.  It's possible that it is based on her life ↓



Moving on:
Animals.  Hot tip -- Alexa makes animals noises if you, too, have an animal loving child.
Singing Let it Go, which is so adorable I record it every time -- "Det it dooooh, det it doooh!"
Dancing to Let it Go in a tutu, while watching herself in the reflection of our oven.  If you follow me on Snapchat this has been happening in our house for about the last three years.
DUICE!  This is a conversation that happens every morning, afternoon, and evening in our house:
Elle: "duice?" Me: "You just finished your orange juice, would you like some milk?"  Elle: "duice?" Me: "water?" Elle: "duice?" Me: "milk or water." Elle: "umm....duice?" with her mischievous little smile on her face.  I'm going to say about 50% of the time she ends up with more juice and I'm going to go back and reread that paragraph I just wrote about manipulation.
Georgia.  Oh poor Georgia.  Georgia is picked up or ridden by Elle frequently (hode huh?), and sometimes I catch Georgia watching Elle and sort of showing half her teeth at at her in a pathetic way, like, I actually am a predator and I despise you but mom is watching so I'm going to pretend this is a smile.  I don't blame her at all.
Babies.
Calling her parents "Edic" and "Eh-yin."
Doing literally everything Grace does.  Preferably at the exact same time as Grace.





A few days ago we were at my mom's for lunch and Elle was eating a Christmas cookie.  She put her cookie down do something and then picked up a scrap of turkey sandwich she hadn't finished, took a bite, instantly realized it wasn't her cookie, reared back and spit the sandwich out with a force that felt like a category five hurricane, then chucked the rest of the sandwich to the floor, shock and rage all over her face.  All of the adults at the table were desperately trying to shield our laughter from her, but it was nearly impossible and just what are you supposed to do in a situation like that but laugh?



This kid lights up our life, makes us laugh constantly and is responsible for my wrinkles.  She has made me a more humble parent, given me so much joy, and makes me so excited for the future.

Today we made some Christmas cookies and before dinner she saw them on the counter and said, "cookie?" (coo-key?)  I said, how about we wait until after dinner! to which she held up her hand, fingers splayed wide, and replied, "bibe coo-key?"  You want five cookies, honey? Let's wait until after dinner."  She responded with, "six coo-key?" And I giggled and tickled her chin until she giggled back.


Elle, you have made my hands and heart so full they are overflowing.  I am so grateful.  Thank you for being mine! 😻








No comments:

Post a Comment