Pages

Monday, October 16, 2017

The Distraction Series, Episode 1



It has been hard for me to write lately.  I feel overwhelmed by the demands of raising two small children and the state of the world.  Usually I can make it through the girls' bedtime and then I just sort of implode; retreating inward to process everything I've seen and heard on any given day, and I'm left feeling impotent and hopeless. We all know there's a lot happening, it feels very chaotic, it feels scary to me. It's hard to write because everything I read is also angry, or worried, or divided and I just don't want to contribute to that noise, even though it seems there's nothing else to say without first addressing the elephant in the room:



Our country is in a shambles.
We are behaving like morons.

Jimmy Kimmel, in his monologue last week, expressed exactly what I'm feeling -- "I just want to laugh about things every night but it seems to be becoming increasingly difficult lately.  It feels like someone has opened a window into hell." Samesies, Jimmy.  Samesies.

I am avoiding Facebook because I can't handle any more memes about how guns aren't bad and people and their lack of discipline is the problem, or how some sort of manufactured patriotism is important, when OMG ALL OF THESE REAL THINGS ARE HAPPENING WHERE ARE THE ADULTS PLEASE.  I see these things and I get so angry.  It's not healthy, but I don't see a break anytime soon, so long as we have this leadership at the helm.  I read somewhere that anxiety is a byproduct of living an engaged life.  So I'm taking a bit of comfort in that...that not being okay is okay, just for a bit, because it means I'm paying attention, and trying to be a good citizen.  Even if what I'm paying attention to is a shit storm.


Speaking of shit storm, how often do you take two little ones to the park and find yourself getting climbed on more than the playground?  Please note Grace's foot on my neck.  

What I'm trying to do now is find things that provide distraction, bring joy, and are easily accessible. Something that isn't four to eight ounces of a lovely shade of burgundy, for example.  I ask you, dear reader -- how are you dealing with life right now?  How are you maintaining equilibrium when the world is rocking beneath you?  First of all, if you feel this way too, and, if you're an honest human, you will feel this way from time to time: yay! You're not alone!  Second, here are a few things that help me, and in return, if you have things that help you, please share.  I need things, more things than wine, Ambien, and prayer, k?



One thing I'm totally digging right now: the Pop Sugar Fitness channel on YouTube.

This one's for you, mama. If you don't have time to get to the gym because you have two kids who really behave like 10 kids, and you can't stand the thought of getting a babysitter to workout when you could get a babysitter to drive somewhere alone and then do something alone with both of your arms without five pound weights, but you also hate just jogging outside, then this is for you.  A few times a week while Elle is napping, Grace and I pick a video or two and crank it out together.

And then we practice posing.↓

We've created a monster and I.am.thrilled.about it.

If you're into podcasts, these are a few of my current faves:

1. Pod Save America by Crooked Media
Their motto: "We couldn’t find a place to talk about politics the way actual human beings talk. So we decided to create one."

2.  Heavyweight by Gimlet
Jonathan Goldstein tells heartfelt stories in a hopeful, wonderfully funny way.

3. How to be Amazing by Michael Ian Black
This podcast is an interview format, and Michael Ian Black is an excellent interviewer.  He's astute, quick, and makes me laugh. I don't listen to all of them, but I enjoy picking and choosing individuals I find interesting, and there are plenty to chose from.  I recommend DeRay Mckesson, Sharon Horgan or Ina Garten, and I'll be going back to listen to Lin Manuel Miranda, next.

... if you haven't heard them, these are currently on break, but worth a listen:

3. Revisionist History by Malcolm Gladwell
Gladwell is surely brilliant and sometimes comes across just a bit heavy handed in his analysis of overlooked or commonly misunderstood events from the past, but he's sure to make you think.

4. Invisibilia by NPR
This one interweaves scientific research and storytelling, the result is always entertaining and informative.



Additionally, I subscribe to the New York Times Cooking emails, written by Sam Sifton.  There are three emails a week, which sounds like a lot, but Sifton is such a lovely writer, I sometimes just read them and don't even think twice about any of the recipes.  Other times I feel inspired to cook something new for my family, two of whom will scarf down anything, one of whom will pirouette away from the table at the sight of anything new.  I'll let you guess who is who.  Preparing meals is HARD, between the shopping, planning, the timeline -- it's enough to make me not ever want to make anything other than what I know my kids will eat.  These emails provide motivation.  Check out the site here.



Last, we saw the movie The Big Sick a few weeks ago and it has restored my faith in filmmaking. Truly excellent.  Watch it as soon as you can.

Well folks, there you have it, a few things I enjoy that I hope will bring you some extra joy this week.  I'm hoping to do this weekly (or at least biweekly, let's be honest here), and I hope you all share with me some things you love that spark creativity and make you feel hopeful.  After all, we're stronger together!

Elle's face 😏.






No comments:

Post a Comment